DESCA 2020 Version 1.2
Download DESCA 2020 1.2 in pdf format
Download DESCA 2020 model CA version 1.2 (with elucidation notes)
Download DESCA 2020 1.2 in Word format (email address needed)
Download DESCA 2020 model CA version 1.2 (without elucidation notes)
See Modifications / Amendments compared with DESCA 2020 1.1
Please note: The DESCA 2020 Model Consortium Agreement is specifically designed for Horizon 2020 "Research and Innovation Actions" and "Innovation Actions".
How to Use the DESCA Model and the different Options and Modules
DESCA aims to provide, as far as possible, a single text which balances the interests of all types of project participants. However, DESCA recognises that different projects will have different objectives and that the interests of the partners may also differ. To accommodate such differences, the DESCA model CA offers:
- alternative modules for large projects and small projects
- an optional module for projects with a strong software focus
- options in the IPR section and finance section.
We recommend that you proceed as follows:
- Download and read carefully the DESCA 2020 version 1.2 (with elucidation notes)
- Decide whether you have a Large Project or a Small Project, and try to align as much as possible the management part of the project proposal with one of the DESCA options (so as to avoid inconsistency between the description of the action and the CA).
o Large projects tend to need a more complex governance structure. The DESCA Large Project module allows for a General Assembly and an Executive Board. (If you need a more complex governance structure with a third level, you may consult the old DESCA version 2.0 in our archive.)
o The DESCA Small Project module provides only a General Assembly of all project participants.
- The IPR section offers various possibilities. Two options are provided for the clause on conditions for Access Rights to Foreground for Use :
o Option 1 provides for fair and reasonable conditions;
o Option 2 provides for royalty-free access
The individual consortium members may negotiate any different preferences they may have.
- In the Finance Section two options are provided regarding the transfer of EC contribution:
o Option 1 provides for a security mechanism
o Option 2 provides for a forwarding of all Community funds
- If your project has a strong software focus, you may add the module for Software which provides more detailed provisions on sub-licensing rights, open source code, etc.
DESCA aims to be user friendly. To this end, the standard DESCA text has been drafted for " mainstream" projects and does not attempt to take account of all the alternatives for a given situation.
Once that you have selected the DESCA scenario which best corresponds to your type of project, you will need to fine-tune the text to the specific needs of your project and consortium. Fine-tuning requires careful consideration of critical issues and of internal policies. Expert advice might need to be sought on certain matters.
After 6 years of successful use of DESCA in FP7 projects and 2 updates during FP7 to take into account experiences of stakeholders, the Core Group initiated an update of the DESCA model for Horizon 2020. Stakeholders were invited to provide their opinion on how the DESCA model worked in practice and which improvements were needed. During the consultation, comments and remarks were collected in three rounds of comments and discussed in two workshops in 2013.
DESCA 2020 was reviewed and updated in February 2016, taking into account user consultation and negotiation experience.
Modifications / Amendments compared with DESCA 2020 1.1
All suggestions for modifications / amendments received were carefully examined by the DESCA Core Group. The group agreed on a number of amendments and modifications to DESCA 2020 version 1.1. You find an overview of all modifications and amendments here.